28.07.2017 - 30.10.2017
The timing of this post is not in any way intended to disregard the suffering that Las Vegas is experiencing in the wake of the tragedy that occurred there 2 weeks ago. I believe we all have a heaviness of heart that hopefully has led us to our knees in prayer for the individuals impacted by that horrific event and simply for the state of our nation.
This post is a reminder of better times, of fun, and light heartedness....because we could all probably use a little bit of that right now.
It’s no secret that Vegas is not my favorite place to go. While Matt loves to go every so often to get his poker fix, I typically hide in the spa for the duration of the visit.
So, you can imagine how excited I was when our friends had expiring airfare vouchers that had to be used by the end of July and the only place to go was Vegas.
“But it’s my birthday,” I kept repeating while no one listened.
I finally agreed to give in, but on one condition: “MY birthday, MY plans. Agreed?”
And that’s how I ended up in Vegas for my birthday.
And how it turned out to be amazing.
47 awesome things about my 47th birthday
1) Limo from the airport with champagne. The only way to travel in Vegas. Or to work, really.
2) Terrace 1 Bedroom at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. Matt always insists we stay at the Venetian because he loves their poker room. But this was MY BIRTHDAY. I wanted to stay somewhere cool, modern, flashy….all the things that I am not! It simply oozed glitz.
3) 52 Stories at the Cosmopolitan.
4) That View.
5) A giant soaking tub with champagne and a view of the Vegas Strip and lots of bubbles.
6) The “Shot in the Dark” at the Vesper Bar. Agave Vodka, Ancho Chile Liqueur, New Orleans Style Coffee Liqueur, Chai Masala Tea, and Firewater topped with the most delicious Horchata Cream. To. Die. For.
7) Beauty and Essex. While it lacks the awesomeness of an endless champagne bar in the ladies’ room like the NYC original, it still managed to be uber chic and undeniably delicious.
8) This View. (which is different from That View)
9) This random pair of underwear in the elevator first thing in the morning. Just looking at it made me want to rub hand sanitizer in my eyeballs.
10) Friends who ensured I looked like a total cheese nug on my birthday. At least I was color coordinated.
11) The Brunch Club at Herringbone at the Aria. Ahhhhhh…MAZING. Delightful small stations with amazing food and endless ordering from the menu as well as non-stop chill tunes from the coolest DJ on the planet.
12) CHILAQUILES….remember, this is the food that changed my life in Mexico a few months ago.
13) Bottomless mimosas. And adorable waiters who kept bringing them.
14) A free “birthday shot” from the bartender that tasted like a beach in a glass. (the shot...not the bartender)
15) A birthday wish and a rose from the host.
16) The best brunch station of all time called “For the kid in you” filled with all manner of candies and yummies. My plate looked like a childhood dream.
17) Birthday massages at the spa.
18) CHAMPAGNE! (and not killing anyone below the terrace with the cork)
19) Birthday cake from the Milk Bar with sparkler candles.
20) This Viagra tie.
21) Sitting inside a dazzling display of crystals at the Chandelier Bar.
22) This weird green drink which looked like a bad chemistry experiment but that tasted absolutely amazing.
23) Matching martinis.
24) STK for an unforgettable birthday dinner.
25) A complimentary birthday dessert that looked remarkably like a dog turd with a sparkler.
26) VIP table at the Pitbull show.
27) Drinks made with pure grain alcohol served in absurdly large plastic cups.
28) The fact that every dancer in Pitbull’s show had an enormous behind. Big butts should be celebrated.
29) Being so close to Pitbull that he could sweat on us.
30) Finding the secret pizza place hidden inside Cosmopolitan at 2:00 a.m.
31) Friends who are not opposed to wearing a pair of bunny ears that you found discarded from the Playboy Midsummer Nights Dream party going on down the hall at the club. (Now...where did we leave that hand sanitizer?)
32) Being asked by security to please not eat your pizza on the floor of the lobby.
33) ALL OF THIS.
34) Morning after breakfast at Eggslut.
35) Devin Villarama with VIP services at the Cosmopolitan for hooking us up with this amazing cabana at the Marquee Day Club pool party.
36) These outfits. I need one. Just to wear around the house on Saturdays when I am doing laundry.
37) Getting a free upgrade to the biggest cabana with a free private pool because it’s your birthday. (And because you’re the oldest people there and they want to hide you in the corner)
38) Eating all of your favorite foods in one meal: Sushi and nachos and french fries and bacon cheeseburgers and pizza and strawberries and champagne.
39) The weirdness that is a Vegas pool party.
40) A dedicated server who is sweet as sugar. I’m pretty sure that’s what the guys liked about her.
41) The other view. (Not to be confused with This View or That View)
42) The spicy beef tenderloin with sesame, red chili and sweet soy at Zuma. Oh, and the rock shrimp tempura. And the kappa maki.
43) These guys.
44) And these ladies.
45) And these friends.
46) And going home exhausted after 2 days of non-stop awesome.
47) And not dying.
Stay strong, Vegas. You were there for us during our good times. We're with you in spirit now.